1710 – founding of the oldest porcelain manufactory in Europe
After years of laboratory experiments, Böttger’s research team proudly noted on 15 January 1708 that the first European hard-paste porcelain had been created. Two years later the Saxon Court Chancellery proclaimed the establishment of a Porcelain Manufactory, with Albrechtsburg Castle in Meissen being selected as the production site. The emergence of further European manufactories in the years that followed soon made it necessary to uniformly mark Meissen creations in a way that would prevent imitations and forgeries. Since around 1723, every original from the Manufactory has been adorned in cobalt blue with the famous “crossed swords” from the Saxon Electoral arms.